Accident Injuries

If you are injured in an automobile accident, follow these steps:

accident injuries ambulance image

  1. See a Primary Health Care Practitioner (chiropractor, medical doctor, physical therapist) as soon as possible for an assessment of your injury and treatment advice.
  2. File an injury accident report with the police.
  3. Complete a Notice of Loss and Proof of Claim Form and send the original signed forms to your insurance provider. Keep a copy for your records. If you are unable to send the form within the allowed timeframe, submit it to your insurance company as soon as you are able with a reasonable explanation for the delay.
  4. You will be contacted about the benefits you are entitled to after your insurance company reviews the completed forms. If any additional information is needed in order to process your application, they will contact you.

If you have more questions about the form, the process, or your benefits, contact your claims adjuster or your insurer.

If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident in Alberta, you are entitled to benefits no matter who was at fault for the accident. The benefits you will receive depend on what type of injury you have.

  • If your injury is a sprain, strain, or whiplash grade 1 or 2, your primary health care practitioner (chiropractor, medical doctor or physical therapist) does not have to get the approval of the insurer for payment of treatment of these injuries, so long as you provide notice of your claim and follow the protocols. Your primary health care practitioner will be able to bill the automobile insurer for all treatment services outlined in the “Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols” that are not covered by Alberta Health Care Insurance. These protocols were developed with medical professionals, and are based on the best research available.
  • For all other injuries:
    1. Submit receipts for eligible expenses not covered by Alberta Healthcare Insurance to your extended healthcare benefits coverage provider (e.g. Blue Cross, health spending account or similar extended health care benefits plan) for reimbursement.
    2. Or

    3. If the following applies you may submit invoices for eligible expenses to your automobile insurer for payment.
      • You do not have extended health care benefits coverage.
      • Your extended health care benefits coverage is exhausted.
      • Your extended health care benefits coverage does not meet the full cost of eligible expenses.